This is an FYI: Screaming helps. Screaming a lot helps even more.

Last week I helped a friend trouble shoot her Comcast Cable connection. She
was basically unable to do anything. Couldn't read e-mail over AOL. (in fact
she couldn't even establish an AOL connection at times.) Couldn't do even the
simplest and smallest of downloads. Her trouble began with all the bad weather
we were having in Baltimore a week ago.

I have long suspected a Comcast cable problem with her set-up, but Comcast
kept saying everything was fine. A week ago I phoned them, and they "pinged"
the
line, had us disconnect, reconnect, unconnect, connect, etc, etc. They said
everything checked out ok, but they'd send a technician anyway. (This may have
had something to do with the mention of FIOS being newly available in her
neighborhood, but who knows.) The technician came out the next day. Checked
everything out carefully. Said that the problem was the cable which ran from
the
street to her house -- a 150 foot run --which needed to be replaced.
Replacement
could take between 7 - 21 days!

Many phone calls later (and after FIOS had been ordered), Comcast replaced
the cable between her house and the street in about 4 days. The connection on
her TV service is fine, as it has always been, and the connection on her
computer is now rock solid. So she's sticking with Comcast for now. (It took 4
hours
to get Verizon to cancel the FIOS installation! -- we hope.)

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that my friend is also getting a $300 credit on
her next Comcast bill. Bearing in mind that they have a long record of phone
calls over the past year with service complaints, it's still gratifying - and
somewhat surprising - that they agreed to give her such a large credit.

The morals of this story are:
If Comcast says they've tested your equipment and it's fine, don't believe
them unless they can come up with something else that's happening at your
house.
(This has happened to us when a Linksys box decided to stop working one
night.)
If your service is weather dependent, and if you have Cable service, suspect
the cable -- & complain, loudly, especially if you have choices of service.
FIOS seems to be a real threat to Comcast where it's newly installed. If you
can use this a club, use it freely.

Mical Wilmoth Carton
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

See AOL's top rated recipes