To clarify, I want to be able to transfer my cassette/record music content to CD's so I can have access to my music in the future. I would prefer that what goes to the CD be in the highest quality possible. Along the way, I would put some of the music to iPod for my personal/portable use, which I realize is not high quality but acceptable under the circumstances. I also realize that there are possibly some digital mediums out there that can preserve music at a higher quality than CD's but that is not my goal. While nothing will be as good as the original source, having music that's accessible is better than no music at all.

Richard P.
The original poster asked how to convert and transfer ANALOG sources to digital format for both archival purposes as well as casual use with iTunes...

Well not exactly. Richard's question was...

What is the best way to save cassettes/records to an external
hard drive for future use (dubbing high quality to CD's), as well as put
them into iPod/iTunes for listening...

The reference to quality was related to CDs so I do not see any desire here to preserve pristine music for the ages. Just the desire to feed an iPod and a CD player with the expectation that the CD player would handle a higher bit rate than the iPod.

So I interpret "best way" as least difficult way to achieve sufficient quality for use in a CD player.

I leave it to Richard to improve on this definition.