In a recent post on this listserv, I asked about increasing memory on an old computer that my high school daughter was using. That computer was:

Dell Optiplex GX240
1700 MHz. Pentium 4; 3/256 KB memory cache
Bus 100 MHz.
The consensus was that the computer was too old to try to upgrade memory.

Now, my middle-aged daughter gave her old computer to my youngest daughter to replace the older Dell computer. This computer was built locally at my specification about 4 years ago. The info on this computer is (obtained from BelArc Advisor):

Win XP Pro SP2
2.15 GHz. AMD Athlon XP processor
ASUSTeK A7N8X-E Rev. 2.xx motherboard
Bus 166 Mhz.

The computer has 512 MB DIMM memory in one slot, two additional slots free.

(1)  Is it advisable to add memory to speed up this computer?

(2) Where is a good place to buy cheap memory? Most memory places ask for brand name to select memory, but I have only motherboard info. Is this info sufficient?

(3) The motherboard on bootup displays first a BIOS-like menu, followed by a graphic display with a female voice saying that something like all systems are checked and found to be working. The graphic splash display includes a mention that the motherboard works at 400 MHz. This contradicts the information from BelArc Advisor that the bus is 166 MHz. Is there something set wrong in the BIOS?