Terry,
Device driver incompatibility is the largest culprit.  Try:
1) updating all of your device drivers from the manufacturers websites. Sometimes, it takes up to a year for the manufacturer to fix a device driver properly. 2) disable the 'sleep' and 'hibernate' power saving modes on your computer. Otherwise stable device drivers sometimes get confused when restoring from these states, causing a bluescreen hours later.
3) disable all non-essential software that loads when you boot up.
4)  Scan for viruses and adware
5) slow down your processor to prevent crashes caused by excessive heat buildup, or put a fan next to your CPU to keep it cooler. I have solved strange (random) crashes by doing this, and after making the diagnosis, adding fans inside the case makes a more permanent fix. 6) if all else fails, a clean op-sys reload sometimes fixes this kind of problem, even on a new computer. I have received several computers over the years that had problems due to the way the manufacturer 'blasts' the opsys onto the hard drive, and fixed it with a clean install. I have not yet seen this behavior with Vista yet.

Good Luck,
   - Brian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Kilburg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [CGUYS] Crash dump on Vista

Every few weeks, I get the blue screen notifying me of a crash dump. Maybe the computer has diarrhea:) Anyway, it restarts the computer. Why is it done and is it necessary?