PowerMac G5, but the kind of Mac really didn't matter.

Did you check you logs?

Are you up to date with your patches? TimeMachine is new and acting like
your typical version 1 product. X.5.2 did a lot to tame it and then there
was a subsequent TimeMachine patch. I'm testing TimeMachine on 5 systems
and watching it closely. So far so good.