You can use foreign cash or your credit card though your card company may
charge you a conversion fee.  If you bank with one of the large money center
banks like Citi you can use your US ATM card at a Citi ATM in England or
Germany or wherever without a conversion fee.

Stay away from conversion services because they all charge you a fee.  You
can travel there with dollars in you r pocket and convert them as you need
them.  Generally, the rate of exchange is the same whether you cash in your
dollars for Euros at a bank or even at your hotel.  Last summer I took $500
to China in $100 dollar bills; some of my fellow travelers bought US
travelers checks (and paid a small percentage).  We all just cashed them at
the hotel at the daily exchange rate.

You didn't say when you plan to travel.  Assuming it's summer and assuming
you have some budget for how much to spend while you're there and you think
the dollar is going to continue to lose ground to the Euro between now and
then you could buy your Euros now instead of waiting until you get to Europe
in three months.  Today a Euro (as of a minute ago) would cost you $1.56356.
Exactly a year ago that same Euro cost $1.36475.  That's a 14.5% drop in a
year or 1.21% per month.  If this rate of fall holds, Euros you buy today to
spend in July will save you 2.42%.

You can buy Euros at the major banks (Wachovia, BofA, Citi) -- just call
your branch to make sure they have the currency on hand.
-Mike

Michel David Lowe