>To me, it looks like the game is played:  Buy MS OS--whatever the latest
>version.  Use all MS products on it (browsers, email programs,
>Office).  Repeat about every 3 years.  My son is pushing me to buy a
>Mac.  Is the situation the same with them?  I see no reason to switch to a
>more expensive system if I have to keep replacing them too.

The old Apple was very long-term stable and I often supported clients
that were running a range of Mac OSs that spanned 10 or more years. Old
software ran fine on new machines and new OSs.

Recently that has not been the case. Apple's transition to OS X forced
changes at a much faster pace than Mac users were used to. Over about 6
years the old systems became hard to integrate with newer systems.

Before we could catch a breath Apple changed processors. Now we have a
situation where the old software won't even run on the new hardware.
Apple is pushing us through this transition at an even faster pace than
the OS X transition.

Will things slow down now? Or will Apple decide that this rapid pace is
better for them?