Heh, I still have an old road  apple- Performa 6300 in basement that
maxes out at os9.2.  My G3 stopped doing anything a few months ago.
My guess is a power supply but I haven't been motivated enough to find
one.  I haven't fired up the Mac Plus in ages but it worked the last
time I tried.  IMS the plus maxed out at system 7,   I think I pitched
the original 128K mother board and back of the case when we moved
about 10 years ago.

I still say Apple willingness to leave older hard ware in the wake
makes them more flexible than M$ who still try to service a twenty
year old PC with the same software that is expected to run on a Quad
Core.  Perhaps if M$ were smarter they would set up virtual machines
in a new vista installation to mimic older OS when needed instead of a
one size fits all OS.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 6:27 AM, Snyder, Mark (IT CIV)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just migrated my parents (late 70's, early 80's) from their 10-year
> old, first edition iMac to the latest model iMac.  Yes, they are
> learning OS X 10.5 after using OS 8.6.  That said, I told them not to
> buy any software, but to download Firefox and OpenOffice.  The free,
> open-source software is reliable and will handle all of their modest
> needs.  They paid less for their 20-inch LCD iMac than they paid for the
> original iMac.  They are through with Microsoft Office, through with
> buying any software.  Their requirements are light, but I bet most
> people don't have much in the way of software requirements for simple
> home use.  They used that old computer for ten years until it died -
> dead power supply, and I told them it was time to replace it.  (Business
> would be another analysis.)
>
> It is time for Apple to pay attention to compatibility again, though.
> My four year old Power Mac dual-G5 will run 10.5, but probably not 10.6,
> which will likely be Intel-only.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Mark Snyder

John Duncan Yoyo