-----Original Message-----
From: Computer Guys Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jeff Wright
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2008 11:48 AM
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] US is access loser

It was a unanimous vote? *No one* wants rental income from the carriers?
Or
was it just the people who bothered to show up for the meeting?

A woman came to my house with a petition last year, to block the
proposed
building of a cell tower in our neighborhood.  My neighborhood is a
cellular
black hole and I wouldn't mind better coverage at all.  It would be in
the
middle of a rather large and tall thicket of trees, on land owned by the
community swimming pool (which is always one foot in the financial
grave)
and abutted by my kids' elementary school.  Lots and lots of buffer
zone.
She had all sorts of Very Scary[tm] reasons, including declining
property
values, why we shouldn't allow it to be put in.

When I asked her how the an adjacent development, which has a nearly
identical setup, sans trees to hide in, fared in terms of property
values,
she started blubbering how it wasn't the same (because, you know, the
laws
of economics operate differently there) and wouldn't give me a straight
answer.  I asked her a few more questions about her other dubious claims
and
it was obvious that she hadn't encountered anyone skeptical of her
horror
stories yet.  She scurried off rather than answer any of them.

Turns out, her house will be one of the closer homes, albeit about 300
feet
away on the other side of the thicket.  Funny that.

I find it strange how many of us will tolerate all sorts of
technological
"eyesores" on our streets: power lines, telephone poles, traffic lights,
mailboxes, street lights, lines for phones and cable, satellite dishes,
cars, trucks, roads, etc, but lose all rationality when it comes to cell
towers.  Does the DSM IV have anything on this yet?

**
**  policy, calmness, a member map, and more at http://www.cguys.org/
**