I am loath to expect the optical solution will stand the traffic demands
over the short term. I can't understand why more has not gone into wireless as a longer term solution with less disruptive infrastructure demands albeit
the view of a tower here&there which pales in comparison to the omnipresent
telephone poles up and down every byway ...

Wireless is fine but so far it is a sub-optimal technology in terms
of speed and reliability.

You have to know that in wired telecom reliability is the single driving
force.  We CAN'T fall below established regulatory standards
in terms of service delivery.

It has to work all the time.