>Your question could be more easily answered had it not contained
>the phrase "productivity and happiness", as if they are somehow
>connected to one another in a way that suggests that if you have one,
>you'll automatically have the other.

See, there is the IT manager as slave master mentality I'm describing.

One of my clients just pink slipped their IT team and brought in a new
team. I must say that this new team reinforces my long-held beliefs about
IT management. The new guys really know their stuff and don't hide behind
techno babble. They are doing a great job at fullfilling unmet needs that
had been hanging around for years. When asked about needed capabilities
their typical response is something like "we've been testing that for a
couple of weeks now, go ahead and let us know how it works for you." When
they occasionally screw up they forthrightly say "we screwed that one up
and are redoing it." The previously hostile computer users are very
willing to forgive and move on. It is a joy to see this cooperative
spirit in action. Staff is much more productive and much more happy. Yes
those two words are connected.