At 07:43 PM 8/3/2008,  Rev. Stewart Marshall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Sociology 101 Morals = Ethics.

Extant mammals = Unicorns. I gave you examples of clearly unethical behaviors that might have been "moral," assuming morals exist, but, rather than consider them on their merits, such that you could see and/or reflect upon the distinction between morals and ethics, you ignore all of that and rely, instead, on what is clearly, to me, anyway, a falsehood. I can't help it if lots of people got together, including sociology textbook authors and publishers, including the editors and publishers of dictionaries, including those who post, and contribute to, Wikipedia, and agreed among themselves that something is the case when, in reality, it isn't. I submit that aphorisms in the culture like, "To thine own self be true," and "Be sure you're right, then go ahead," are reminders that (at least some of us in) the culture recognize(s) that morals and ethics are separate and distinct, even if they frequently overlap.

The Wikipedia entry specifically said "individual conscience," which is where I was going, and it also seemed to limit the scope of morality to what it called "matters of right and wrong." But before you can take even two steps down THAT road, someone like me will ask, quite properly, "Right and wrong for whom? Right and wrong according to what?" Any answer which invokes some commonly held set of beliefs about how we should treat each other, or how we "should" behave "in this culture," yanks you out of morals and shoves you into ethics.

BTW, I got an A in Sociology 101 (and also in every other sociology and criminology course I took, which makes me just extra-special, super-duper smart), and my textbook didn't say any such thing. It did, however, talk about the relationship between the members of a society and the ethos which they create. I was encouraged by my professor (1) to separate that which is observable from that which isn't, such that I would (2) not draw conclusions about the relationship a person has with himself, which isn't observable (and isn't even in the field of sociology), from the relationships he has with others, which is observable (and is the nuts and bolts of sociology). It's a real shame that your sociology course/professor didn't require the same intellectual rigor from you that mine demanded of me. 33 years after the fact (Summer session, 1975), I am more in her debt today than I was then.

     Sociology = The scientific study of human interaction.

The relationship a person has with himself, which is where morals lie, assuming they even exist, isn't "human interaction," as contemplated by this definition, since "interaction" means that more than one person must be involved. How a person gets along with himself (morals) isn't the same thing as how he gets along with others (ethics). End of story.

     Or maybe only the beginning.

               Bob

Jaco Pastorius: "Bo be boo bop doo bay."

OK
End