On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Jeff Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > After all, you want to protect against not just disk drive failure, but
> > also computer failure.
>
> Of course, but that is a luxury we can't afford.  When you are poor(er),
> you
> learn to tolerate risk at a much higher level and deal with the
> consequences, knowing the risks.

That is the point that most people are dealing with today, and that Tom
keeps emphasizing.

If the likelihood of a computer failure is close to the likelihood of a disk
drive failure, how do you minimize the risk?

It used to be that disk drives failed ten or a hundred times more often than
computer systems.  But now they are roughly equivalent - hard to determine
which is more likely in general.

So spending even $200 on a RAID controller and the same on extra disks just
for RAID, is probably not the best way to minimize risk to the small
business today.

Small businesses are better served by off loading risk among multiple
computers, not relying on just one computer with a RAID controller.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own