The best we can hope for is that MS is lying.

If this is the way MS intends to build its operating systems then W7 will
be even crappier and more dangerous than their previous atrocities. This
idea is even a bigger mistake than their
everything-is-connected-to-everything stupidity that makes their OS such
a playground for virus writers.

Denying the old saying that "The whole is more than the sum of its parts"
will produce an OS that demos well but falls apart in real use. The
inconsistencies among its various parts, that should have been ironed out
early, will be even more maddening. There will be even more redundancies
as developers of isolated parts will have little idea about what others
are doing. There will be serious gaps in functionality for the same
reason. There will be really interesting and hard to diagnose
interactions among parts because the not tested together at an early
stage -- things like race conditions that don't show up when parts are
run in isolation.

People are going to look back on Vista and call it the good old days.