Thanks, David,

I rebuilt the individual account inboxes and the ghosts vanished instantaneously!
Gosh, that was simple! Why didn't I think of expanding the Inbox?!

Alvin

On Nov 4, 2008, at 2:43 AM, David K Watson wrote:

You are right that you can't rebuild the inbox.  However, expand
the inbox (click on the right-pointing triangle next to the inbox)
and you should be able to rebuild each of the single account
inboxes under the main inbox.  If you rebuilt all your inboxes
and all of your other mailboxes, you'll get back some space and
you won't have the mismatch between messages showing and
actual messages as often.

I also second the idea of checking your mail via the web.  I remember
once having a similar type of problem that was caused because
the message on the server immediately before the ghost message
was corrupted in a way that the mail server couldn't handle.  If
you can, log into your account on the web and try deleting the
ghost messages there as well as anything preceding them
that looks suspicious.

If that doesn't work, I'd try again to move the messages out and
rebuilding the mailbox.  This time try it t for just those messages in
the problem account, and keep holding the mouse down over the
new location when dragging them over until you can see that
Mail is ready to move them, because Mail can be very slow in
moving a lot of messages.  This is particularly true for mailboxes
that haven't been rebuilt in a while.

Mathew,

Thanks for the idea, but when I try to move the messages, they just
bounce back to the Inbox. Also, Mail doesn't allow the Inbox to be
rebuilt (at least on my machine!). It would be interesting if it's
allowable on someone else's machine.

Alvin