Buy a PCI controller card. The new bus won't have the same size limit as the old one. My old Mac's internal bus limits drives to 128GB. The new card allowed me to use the 250GB drive internally instead of in an external case. If it's a PC, make sure it has adequate ventilation/fan. Might be better not to get the fastest drive/RPM. Read the fine print.

If I buy a 1tb external usb drive, will it have the same 120gb limit due to
my motherboard or what?  If yes, then I would hafta divide it up into many
partitions?  My internal drive is a 160gb pata drive which had2 have 40gb
partitioned off to "see" it.  There's a 2nd hdd internal slot open ...if I
put the 1tb drive in there, what would hafta be done then, multiple
partitions?  Any other solutions?