It is the interface (SATA or PATA) physically in the external drive case that
determines what the computer "sees" when it "looks at" the hard drive in the
external case (unless you are exceeding the limit of the OS).  If it is a newly
manufactured external case, you should have no problem.

But if you are going to purchase a 1 TB hard drive it almost certainly will be
a SATA drive.  I don't believe I've seen any PATA drives larger than 320 GB for
sale, although I couldn't for sure say they don't exist.

I also don't believe I've seen any SATA drives that aren't 48-bit LBA.  Maybe
some very early ones were not.

I would only buy a new, un-partitioned PATA drive today in circumstances in
which it was being attached to a legacy motherboard or drive case for essential
reasond.

Fred Holmes