I can see how building such a gaming computer would be an interesting project in itself but my advice to you is that you should just buy one but Dell Surplus in the next two weeks... before Jan 31st when their business quarter concludes. (They always dump product via the surplus warehouse just prior to quarter's end)

You can't buy the components and OS and put it together for the price Dell .... or anyone else... would normally charge you for a full priced massed produced gaming computer... not to speak of the warranty they provide ...because of the IMMENSE economies of scale advantage they have. (And they deliver in 5 days!)

Secondly, a flow chart isn't going to save you from the very substantial chipsets and component compatibility research task building such a glitch free machine is going to entail. MB's, chips, chipsets, video cards, OS's etc are not P&P. Your best bet there would be to follow some tech sites "build a gaming computer yourself" instructions... if you can find a current one. And you will spend substantially more doing so than buying a pre-manufactured outlet Dell and end up with no warranty and a noisy machine since quiet systems technology isn't available piecemeal unless you go with expensive water cooled tech.

Doesn't mean you wouldn't have fun doing it...   :)

db

trac...@aol.com wrote:
I have a daughter that has become intrigued by online gaming. In order to further her interest, bond with her and (hopefully) to save some money, we want to make a family project of building a gaming computer for her. We have Comcast Cable as an ISP. I have built a computer before (for the office) but the details of a gaming computer needs are a bit arcane for me. We think that we can keep the monitor (LCD) she has. I am under the impression that we start with a case and a power supply (400W or better). After that, I think that the component parts of MoBo, CPU, hard drive, graphics card and operating system need to be picked as to best compatibility. This is where my knowledge begins to lack. Can anyone give me a flowchart process for picking the parts and assembly that would be a good jumping off point for this project? I know that you can always spend more money but I would like to see options and places that we can cut corners. I work in the entertainment business(on the audio side) and often have to suggest upgrades to PA systems for musicians to get the most bang for their buck. My general rule of thumb is to buy the best equipment you can afford that is the human contact point (Best microphones, best speaker cabinets). Is there such a "rule of thumb" in the gaming computer world? Tracy Foust

**************A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1215855013x1201028747/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072%26hmpgID=62%26bcd=De
cemailfooterNO62)