Many eastern religions have a fatalistic approach to things. They do not provide as much to the poor because that is the way God meant it to be. Even in Islam they are only to provide alms (I am not sure of the amount but there is no provision such as in Christianity)

And in Jewish teachings they are always to remember the poor among them and those who were sojourners. Remembering that once they were sojourners and God took care of them.

The throwing money lenders out of the temple is not always understood correctly. First off it was not lenders but exchangers. You could not use Roman currency in the temple, but only Temple money. (Roman currency had idols on it, namely pictures of Caesar) Plus people coming in from outside the area would usually buy the sacrifices there to give for sacrifice. (Saves the transport, plus if it was declared not perfect what would you do rush home and get another one?) So these money exchanging tables were set up to help the people coming in. Problem was they were relatives of the Priests running them, plus they ran dishonest tables (Exorbitant rates of exchange etc.)

All in all a good parallel to todays problems I think.

Stewart