At 01:23 PM 2/1/2009, you wrote:
>I have no complaint with a progressive tax system. The difference is that in
>the past we collected less income tax from the poor and now we don't collect
>any income tax from the poor but give our income tax money to them.

until recently, i owned a small business in baltimore.  i employed a lot of
unskilled labor.  there was a program to keep people off of welfare.  part of
their salary was made up with reverse tax money.  worked well.  they cancelled
the program, and the employees went onto full time welfare.  these people were
not worth $10 an hr, and i could not afford to pay them $10 an hour.