Use VLC. Dump WMP.

That seems a little extreme, what are the opportunity costs
of using VLC?

Admittedly that was my first reaction also, based on if it
doesn't work 100% and if you have something that does,
use it.

The reason for my question about why he would use WMP
in preference to VLC was strictly based on curiosity.

In my application WMP is fine.  It works well, it's supported,
but I'm doing audio not video.

I was trying to get down to specific file non-performance
issues with my follow up on this.  Maybe I didn't ask the
question correctly.