Yes, unplug and replug the USB. Win98 has a nasty habit of losing USB-attached hardware. Remember this was the first WinOS to support USB, and it wasn't pretty.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard P." <richs...@gmail.com>
To: <COMPUTERGUYS-L@listserv.aol.com>
Sent: Monday, April 27, 2009 5:47 PM
Subject: [CGUYS] Win98 printer issue

My relative has an issue with his Gateway Win 98 computer which I am
trying to help him resolve (long distance). He is trying to hook up a
Compaq IJ650 Printer with a USB cable. He has lost the installation
disk but I was able to find the drivers for it
(http://tinyurl.com/6spkf), and send them down. With great difficulty
installing them, he was able to get it working over the weekend. But
now it no longer works. Besides the obvious (get a new computer!), is
there something that might help solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Richard P.