> ...If it weren't for the monopoly and misbehavior by MS, IE would
> have died long ago.

IOW, the market worked.

The market didn't work at all. MS's monopoly prevented the market from working. Without competition, IE was everywhere. When competition was allowed, through lawsuits and legislation--not the "free" market--MSIE finally had to compete with other better browsers, and was found to be inferior.

> ...I'm glad that science is finally back into the forefront...

I can bet you that if someone were able to make money off of
widespread use of solar, they would have done it by now.

Propaganda and consolidation of media prevented accurate news and information about solar. While US investment in basic scientific research ['60s/'70s] resulted in solar applications for NASA, the nuclear and fossil fuel industries were spending millions to lie about solar energy. Photovoltaics, invented in the US, are now produced in Japan, Germany, France. The effective federal program to fund solar research and applications in the late 70s was ended once Reagan [owned by nuclear power industry] and Bush [petroleum] took office in 1980. Solar subsidies were discontinued, space research budget moved to "star wars" and nukes and oil subsidies went up.

So much for the fantasy about the "free market". It doesn't exist. Never did.

Without politicians who care and understand enough to fund scientific research and applications, we might not have the Internet. No corporation would fund something like ARPANET, with no prospect of profit, or even that it would work at all.