I will look for a good book and get started, thanks for your offer to help. It is greatly appreciated.
Mike

Vicky Staubly wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009, Michael Drabick wrote:
I am looking for the quickest way to get up to speed on these two programing languages, as I have become one of the victims of this troubled economy. I have been to a few Job fairs and every one wants Java and C++/C# programmers with clearances. It seems the government is the only one with money to spend and they want their projects done in those languages. I learned Fortran & Basic decades ago so this shouldn't be that difficult. Any advise would be appreciated.

Are you up on object-oriented programming? If not, I think Java is the
easiest way to learn that (since everything is a part of a class, you
can't "cheat"). Unless you already know C, I'd leave C++ to last (if
you _do_ know C, then C++ will let you gradually add classes/objects
to your programs). C#, despite it's name is actually closer to Java
than to C/C++.

Beyond that, I'm not sure of the best way to learn. I usually start
with a good book to learn a new language, but I haven't liked any of
the Java or C++ books I've read as something I'd recommend for beginners.
I've done tutoring in the past, but I'm kind of short of time. If you
do try learning on your own, and get stuck, feel free to email me.

--

*Mike Drabick
HDH Construction Consultants, Inc.