Paul where did you see the price you did on the Netbook.  Also which model.

Stewart

At 07:02 AM 5/27/2009, you wrote:
The least expensive new Mac Mini I saw was 599$ on apple's site. That is an extra 300$ not 100 or 150.
I could purchase an additional machine for that price.
I won't argue that OS X is better than Fedora.  I would like to try out OS X.

I only plan on using it for Firefox, email, media stuff (vlc for watching occasional dvd's). There are several yum repositories of software so I am not sure what application software you are talking about. As for tech support, I will probably look at log files or just turn to google for a solution.
I did not find the review where it arrived in various broken parts.
I did see the review where "even though the atom 270s support cpu scaling in linux it seems the 330 doesn't have support for it I've tried a few different distros and am currently run debian lenny. None of them seem to be support cpu scaling for this processor." This concerns me - he noted it still works but will have to wait for better linux support.

From the specs I saw on Apple's site, the Mac Mini has a better cpu and video capabilities, but would only come with a 1G of memory and only 120Gb of storage compared to 1 terabyte. There were options to increase the cpu/ram/drive - of course that would increase the price. The largest drive from Apple was listed as 320GB and was an additional 175$. A Mac mini with upgrades (cpu/ram/hard drive) was over a 1000$. I could get 3 machines for that - stop tempting me. So probably if I wanted to get more memory and larger drives it is better to shop elsewhere for Mac accessories.

The Applecare protection plan is 149$ and all the software I saw (filemaker, logic express, aperture, final cut, Iwork) had a price tag. Is this for pre-installation only or does Apple supply the media and let users install it for free?

If I were to get a Mac, I would probably get a iMac and dream about a Mac Pro. Those cinema displays are also very beautiful.

Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
mailto:popoz...@earthlink.net
Ozark, AL  SL 82