OK I thought it was a netbook, but a nettop for a basic workstation is not bad either.

Thanks.

Stewart

At 10:46 AM 5/27/2009, you wrote:
Well, it's not really a netbook.
It is categorized on NewEgg as a mini booksize barebones system.

I am considering of getting the following:

149$ MSI Wind Nettop 100 Intel 945GC 1 x 200Pin Intel GMA 950 Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167037

21$ ITE-ON Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache IDE 22X DVD±R DVD Burner
+- OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827106281

90$ Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EADS 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136317

25$ Kingston 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Laptop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134317

So the price is  around 285$ + (sales tax and shipping/handling)

I already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse. I am fairly certain it can run Fedora or Ubuntu reasonably well for what I want. It should be fairly quiet, according to the overview it uses about 35W at full speed. It has a Intel 1.6GHz Atom 330 (dual core) on board - not the fastest cpu around but should be reasonable. The graphics is definitely underpowered for games and heavy graphics but should suffice for media playback and what I
hope is my "normal" usage.

The MSI netbooks seem to range from 310-380$ and include MS XP - I have zero experience with these.

I usually just build my own systems.
My newest desktop is an HP model which came with Vista SP1; the only complaint that I can recall was the amount of trialware that I had to remove. I have perhaps an irrational fear of laptops (my fear is that I or family member would drop and break it).

Rev. Stewart A. Marshall
mailto:popoz...@earthlink.net
Ozark, AL  SL 82