Again because they aim only at the lower income.

If they aimed at a higher income they would make money.

That is what I meant about neighborhoods not served.

In Europe their public transportation does not just aim at one socio economic strata. It serves all.

In Canada (One I am again familiar with) they aim at all socio economic strata. From Go Trains to street cars to buses and trains serving many different areas.

Some of it is profit making some not, but since they serve a wider area, they can subsidize the unprofitable with the profitable.

Like I said aim public transportation to folks above the poverty line and serve them and it will make money.

Stewart