Hello Everyone ...

Thanks so much for all your good advice on what to do about my dead mouse. Having tried all the fixes, including Tom's suggestion for Ultimate Boot Disk to no avail, I decided to bite the bullet and reformat. I downloaded a backup program, Acronis, and put it on the machine this morning, then rebooted, in addordance with instructions and went to get more coffee. When I returned, lo and behold, there he was, his little belly glowing red like a beacon in the night. Praise the Lord; the mouse is reborn!

I'm going ahead with the backup just in case this happens again but wanted to let you know -- and also ask if anybody has any idea of what this might be -- could there be a short-circuit somewhere? And if so, should I be worried about that??

The good news from this experience is I've learned to navigate the computer ad the internet without a mouse (no small feat, it seems to me) which has given me a lot of time to practice patience.

Again, many thanks, as always, for your help!

Gail Miller