> Good story, but it did not help. I get 7 but not 9. If this were true and I
> had an antenna problem I would get neither station.

You do have an antenna problem.  Either your antenna is not aimed to
pick up one of the stations or alternatively your antenna can't deliver
enough signal to produce a picture.

Unfortunately the US has gone back to the days of needing an antenna
that can be rotated.   Something similar to this happened before when
the US first implemented UHF channels as standard, the difference was
that it was obvious if you had a weak signal that something like aiming
the antenna or getting a better one would improve that situation.
Analog does have its advantages.

When broadcasters and the FCC did the calculations for signal strength,
they failed to leave in the normal fudge factor apparently.  Lots of
folks can no longer get reasonable OTA television even with outside
antennas.  In some locales a significant percentage of OTA TV no longer
has reliable reception.  Anything from clouds to rain also can disrupt
reception.

Before anyone asks OTA= "Over The Air".  If you knew, sorry!