> This is one subspecialty that is also elective surgery.  Now say the
> same thing about cardiac stints, hernia surgery etc.

Yes, I understand that.  It's one of the better analogs for demonstrating
that the medical industry can deliver quality care with cost awareness.  Why
wouldn't it work for cardiac stents, hernias, tonsils, etc?

It wouldn't work very well for time-sensitive/emergency care or for critical
care situations such as cancer treatment, but there is a world of medicine
where price can and should matter.

We can reform health care the smart way, as proposed by Mackey and
illustrated in the article you linked with truly innovative ideas, or the
dumb way, with price controls, massive budget deficits and a very high
probability of rationing with nowhere else to turn.