When you change a byte, that's a write. The way file systems work,
you're not always changing the same byte, but it averages out. Not a
big deal if you use it once a week to transfer files from one machine
to another. Or, like I use one of mine with portable Roboform, to
store (copies of) passwords.

But it's a bad idea to write to it on a daily basis, especially for
something like email that can be stored in the cloud for free.