As others have said, there are a few free email providers that include
lots of free storage. Gmail, mail.live.com, Yahoo mail, etc. There are
also a few sites that offer free file storage like Mozy (still just
2gb free).

But don't discount the pay cloud services like AWS (Amazon Web
Service) via JungleDisk. They only charge for what you use, so we pay
about $1.50/mo. Services like Mozy, Elephantdrive, and Carbonite may
cost a bit more but are only $5/mo for unlimited.

No danger of lost data, and access from multiple computers without
hauling a flash drive around.