Right. The "correct" answer to everything in this whole thread is that
local email clients are yesterday's news. Well, for anyone with
broadband anyway. Once browsers became capable of running email as
quickly as any other local client, there suddenly weren't too many
good reasons not to do it that way. Cloud storage of emails is a
slightly different subject, but it's tough to deny it's safer than
local storage these days.

I just recently upgraded to Win7. Total downtime to move my mail:
zero. As soon as I had a browser, I had email.