On Nov 3, 2009, at 1:37 PM, Tony B wrote:
Yes, I suppose Google et al, could announce tomorrow that they'll be
charging for gmail. But why live life based around what some company
*might* do in the future?

Especially Google. Google has been especially clever at finding opportunities that nobody else saw and turning them into big revenue streams while keeping everybody happy. They give away search for free and mix paid content into it in a way that is not only not objectionable, but actually welcome. When I want to buy things I go to Google, knowing that the paid content will lead me to sites that are eager to sell. As a seller I am happy to give Google money because they bring customers to me. They have an excellent system for managing my online advertising and for measuring the effectiveness of my advertising.

So I think I'm quite safe assuming that Google is not going away and is not planning to pick my pocket. I think Amazon's service is probably a safe bet too. On the other hand I do have serious doubts about many of the other online storage services. For example I would not trust Apple.