Make no mistake, none of it is crucial.  But If I can get a phone that lets
me do it, why would I not get that phone?  I'm not one of those users as Tom
is who assumes whatever *I* do is all that anyone ever has to do and
anything else is shite.  I know different people have different needs,
different ways of getting things done, different goals and different
hobbies.  I don't assume when someone makes a choice different from mine,
that they are stupid and in need of medication, I assume they know what is
best for them and I hope they've done their homework before deciding.

In answer to your specific question, at the time I sent the last email where
I said I want to be able to multitask, I was answering an email, on three
IRC networks (talking in two channels actively), on IM with a friend in
London and checking twitter for a search I'd done.  If I'm on IRC on the
iphone, I can't switch back and forth to IM without shutting down the other
app...I can't answer an email without shutting down other apps.
Disconnecting from IM and IRC every time I want to read an email would be
tiresome, I've done it.  I like my little cell phone world I can create on a
phone I can multitask on, do I *need* it?  Of course not.  But combine that
advantage on a network that is MUCH cheaper and I'm very satisfied with my
choice knowing I've lost some things and gained some things.