Re: Your point about the promenade of new software versions: that's an easy issue to deal with: Just stick with what you have got ... ignore new versions until it becomes obvious ... until you know a compelling reason for upgrading. The companies are doing it mainly to keep their revenue stream going so there is very little if nothing you really need and usually upgrading just makes your situation worse... you have to relearn the program and suffer it's new glitches.

If your employer insists on upgrading your tools ... you have to go with it and it's no loss to you because they are paying for it and your wasted efficiency they are paying for also.

Re: the cloud: I do sometimes wonder if this huge infrastructure will ever founder ... like wall street's deriviative system did when they built it on a false assumption. But maybe the better analogy for the cloud is with the auto: It could bring us related unforeseen problems but it won't completely fail us in any significant short term way.

But other than that seemingly esoteric arguement ... the cloud is getting to be a wonderful tool. I myself find backup and remote access systems like Amazon's ..15/GB/mo JungleDisk and Google's .02/GB/mo Photo PicasaWeb to be incredibly powerful, rock solid and inexpensive tools, making incredible leveraged use of inexpensive storage hardware, broadband network and large scale of operation.

For me and many I know these two systems: so effortlessly solve one of computing's biggest problems (reliable backup/ restore), are "falling off a log" easy to use and they do their unseen job around the clock, meticulously and effortlessly..

It's true someone is thinking up a new cloud app every day... but similar to new software versions, ...I don't worry about them until the time that their importance becomes evident to me. Anything great always eventually makes it presence known. I look for others... riding the bleeding edge ... to sort them out and let me know when and why I am compelled to use them.

Lists like this are a great early warning system for exactly that  purpose..

db

Constance Warner wrote:
I don't know about you, but the computer/ technology stuff you really need to know for an office job--or for most jobs, for that matter--is pretty easy to pick up. And will be, as long as there are Visual Quick-Start Guides and O'Reilly books. Computer books are a booming industry, the only problem with which is how to recycle the old ones for previous releases of Quark and Photoshop. The other way you pick up on technology, software, and the web is that everybody is always talking about it--talking a LOT about it--both the stuff you need to know and the stuff you don't. (Remember "All your base are belong to us", for example?)

As for security: a backup in the Cloud: yeah, I suppose, depending on what you're storing--I can think of stuff that would raise extreme security concerns if stored in the Cloud.

The main problem I have with the Cloud and similar phenomena is that there are only 24 hours in a day. I have a lot of things I need to do, both on a computer and otherwise, and the time needed to master the latest bells and whistles takes time away from essential tasks. I think, Holy Smokes, ANOTHER release of Photoshop? When it's got more stuff in it now, than any one person even KNOWS about, let alone uses? And what's this Twitter thing? So, SO boring. I'm not even interested in what I'M doing every minute of the day, let alone what anybody else is doing.

There is SO little time in life for writing, which is what I like to do. So far, the Cloud isn't necessary to do that.

--Constance Warner