Hidden files may be shown, but system files shouldn't be. IMHO,
anyway. You can enable showing them, but it's probably not a good idea
for most people. ANyway, if they were hidden they shouldn't be counted
anyway.?

You sure can't use windows explorer or perl scripts to do decent
comparisons; what if a transfer was corrupt and a file is bad? I have
at least two (pay) programs I could use that would work much better -
Beyond Compare and Directory Opus. But, maybe because I use Dopus
almost exclusively, I can't answer your question about ghost file
counts in Win7, since I rarely ever use the Properties function. If
you're sure they aren't hidden system files, or belong to another
user, then I can't even guess.

Just as a quick test, I pulled up Dopus and it tells me there are 4
folders and 12 files in this folder (explorer erroneously says 16
files). But properties says there are 110 files, apparently counting
down through all the subfolders, so maybe that's the issue? FWIW, I
can't find a discrepancy in any folder that doesn't contain
subfolders. Maybe it's looking in compressed files?