There comes a point when searching for what might be wrong would take longer
than just reinstalling.  Check and make sure drivers are all loaded ok.
Have you tried watching tv from the Hauppauge application and not through XP
media center?  I don't know if there is a way to reinstall just media center
part of XP but I don't think there is.

The pitfalls of reinstalling?  Time...forgetting to backup something you
need later.  Forgetting to make sure you have all your drivers before you
reinstall and find yourself without an internet connection because you don't
have a network driver.  If you have a dell or HP or something, those drivers
are on the recovery disks.

You could also think of this as cleaning house, I reinstall a lot for this
reason, sometimes I just like a clean desk.  You might find you don't need
or use some or a lot of those programs you have installed.  You also could
use this as a chance to try new programs instead of the old ones.  I made an
effort over a year ago to find free apps to replace the paid ones I use a
lot...like instead of the bloatware mess that is Nero, I use imgburn.
Instead of iTunes to listen to music, Foobar or Songbird.  I pay for apps
like acronis which is a complete backup and recovery package.  Once you have
your computer the way you want it, and it works, acronis makes an image and
when you need to reinstall, you do so from the image and everything is where
you had it.  This gives me a completely clean/new install with my programs
in less then 20 minutes from blank hard drive to booting.

Before you do reformat if you do, make sure you have backups of all your
data and any serial numbers you need to reinstall programs you have bought.