An interesting note: Win7 has moved this to C:\Users\Public\Desktop.
Anyway, I'm unaware of a method to automatically redirect a shortcut
from the public desktop to your own.

It wouldn't affect me for a few reasons. First, I would just replace
the shortcut as soon as I found it missing, probably via the SendTo
context menu, likely without even thinking about it. Second, since
Vista I've used ObjectDock to arrange my apps into 5 tabs (kind of
like one could do in WinXP). Lastly, the five apps I use for a work
project are all set to launch simultaneously via Macro Express when I
press ctrl+alt+v.