On Dec 31, 2009, at 1:54 PM, mike wrote:
John brought it up near the start of the thread. Speed was the only reason
we used RAID at the shop I was at, anyone who uses it for backup is an
idiot.

The speed advantage went away when the drive's magnetic domains got turned 90-degrees. With bits packed so tightly the data rates went way up and the speed advantage of RAID went poof. I won't bother to argue about RAID serving up bits faster. I will argue that it does not matter. A modern drive is a fast as the job requires. It is not worth any effort to go faster. The drive is not the bottleneck.