I still await the data that a single drive performs better than RAID when
multiple users are reading/writing.  And by multiple I mean more than
several hundred.

This article you posted is an argument against certain types of RAID, not
against RAID itself.  There is also nothing here that offers alternatives,
it's easy to say don't do xyz...we don't have any idea what you should
do...but don't do xyz.  Without alternatives, your arguments are
meaningless.