Well, we all know that the RIAA is nuts. But the problems you cite-- disappearance of paper books and Big Brother controlling the officially received version of history--are there too.

And the basic problem for me is still: if you write something, do you, or do you not, get paid when someone consumes it? In the long run, if you pay for something, you get more of it. If you don't pay for it, that item becomes scarce and/or deteriorates in quality. What happens to my field--fantasy and science fiction--if nobody, or next to nobody, gets paid for producing it? No great loss, the Great Literature types would probably say; but in the long run, the Mainstream Literature types are going to be worse off than us. The SF community has adapted to some degree to the online world; there are a few markets where you can get paid for online content. Online publishers of fantasy and science fiction are scrambling to find ways to pay for it; a few of them have been (moderately) successful.

But what happens when SF, and serious literature, is produced--and published--exclusively by wealthy amateurs who alone have the leisure to produce books--or book-length projects? What happens when your favorite author can't write that next book you're eagerly awaiting, because he/she has to take a part-time extra job at Home Depot to make up for the income the book would have provided? (To take one case I know of).

The situation isn't all bleak--there are good things in the Internet revolution as well as bad. (And mainstream publishing is no rose garden, either.) But, basically, if authors (and other creators) don't get paid, there will be much less of the good stuff for you to enjoy, whether you download it for free or pay $24.95 for a new hardcover edition in a bookstore.

--Constance Warner