I am dubious about facial recognition by computer in regard to accuracy.

For some reason, I can recognize faces that I have ever seen -- those that I don't know that sit in a restaurant, those who pass by in a food supermarket or on a sidewalk, those that I see at a large concert, etc. -- even for decades later after they age. Not an advantage at all for me: I can't remember the place that I saw their face, nor can I remember names of anyone even those that I know well (example: my mother, my best friend, etc.).

Yesterday I was playing a concert in a local church and was obliged to sit looking at the congregation. I will always remember the hundreds of faces that I saw there, but several I have seen somewhere before. One was a woman that I was unable to decide whether or not I had seen her face before or whether her face was an identical copy of a movie actress. Her face not only looked like a face that I remembered, but also her facial expressions (E.g., she didn't turn her head all the way to look where she gazed, but tilted her head a bit to the side and shifted her eyes.) I stared at her face for so long, trying to decide, actress or not, that she became aware of my stares, and I endeavored to avert my eyes for the rest of the service.

My point is: even with the best of facial recognition software for the foreseeable future, there will always be a false identification; and following a false identification there will be much anguish. There will be errors especially if the software uses only a still image for recognition, not a movie that shows changes in facial characteristics in real situations.

John Duncan Yoyo wrote:
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Snyder, Mark - IdM (IS) <