On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Art Clemons <artclem...@aol.com> wrote:

> The problem for your logic is that the laptop was removed without
> permission so was missing.  The laptop was supposed to be used in school
> only under the circumstances indicated unless the insurance was
> purchased.  The laptop at best thus was missing.  It was not clear when
> the surveillance began exactly where the missing laptop was.  I'll ask
> again if the laptop had been stolen, would you still term what was done
> as "spying"?

  Spying?  Yes, absolutely, and particularly so since no notice had
been provided that such would be the consequence for a "missing"
computer.  As I said earlier, you first call the parents of the
student and query them about the whereabouts of the "missing"
computer.  If that pans out to be unsatisfactory, you take it from
there.

  It surely must have been known that the student's computer was
supposed to remain in the school because the insurance fee had not
been paid.  Logic would tell you that the most likely scenario was
that the kid was simply taking the computer home despite the fact the
fee had not been paid.  Kids just act that way.  Surely, any high
school administrator knows that.  You act upon the most likely
scenario as opposed to getting all knee-jerk about it.

  What if a student in the school band was taking home their
instrument without having paid the insurance fee on that?  Since the
instrument would not be equipped a camera, would you call his or her
parents about it or would you send someone to the student's home and
have them sneak up to the kid's bedroom window and take a peek inside?

  Furthermore, it is not the duty of the school system to be talking
the law into their own hands.  When an expensive item ihas been
determined to have been stolen, you report that to the police and have
them take the appropriate action, not some IT geeks.  If the cops want
to get a warrant to allow them to view what the computer camera can
capture, then let them do that, and proceed accordingly.

  Steve