b_s-wilk wrote:

This is screaming for an update of the definition of telecommunications. With more people using VOIP and cellular services, of course telecommunications include cable services. It needs to be revised in the FCC's code.

That was my point exactly, except that I would say it the other way around, that telecommunications is a subset of broadband. Back when, telecommunications was the telephone. As an end user, you weren't concerned with competing with other users (unless you were on a party line<g>)

I still don't understand all that net neutrality involves. Certainly, I don't think a network provider should discriminate on the sources of content i.e. selling the right to MS to give preference to Bing searches over Google (or vice versa), but I do believe that network providers could charge by volume of usage, i.e. packets per month. This assumes that broadband is not a limitless facility and that higher users should pay more. I am a bit sympathetic (but only a bit) with Comcast who built their broadband networks to provide THEIR TV programming and then have to provide everybody else's TV programming as well (Hulu, Netflix, etc), but, as you point out, they are also now trying to get into every one else's business.

So I agree, that if there is to be regulation, Congress should come up with new standards and not let the FCC have to wrestle with it, especially as folks complain when it has either a liberal or conservative bias.