On May 9, 2010, at 12:00 AM, COMPUTERGUYS-L automatic digest system wrote:

> Subject: Cox Modem Troubleshooting
>
> During the last week, my cable modem for Cox Cable loses its Internet
> connection about once or twice a day. When troubleshooting, the light
> that indicates the cable connection on the Linksys modem, model
> "BEFCMU10", is not illuminated. If I reboot the modem, it comes up
> fine and I get adequate speeds through the connection. After calling
> Cox, the only thing they can offer is a service call for which I will
> be charged if it turns out that the problem is after their connection.
>
> I have also noticed a slight degradation in the analog TV signal from
> Cox during the last week as well.
>
> Should I just go ahead and replace the modem to see if that makes a
> difference? It would be less than the service call.

Yes, replace it. I had exactly the same issues and the modem finally failed.
They suggested a service call, but I suspected that they would just say I
needed to replace the modem. Much more convenient for me to go to the Cox
office than wait for a service tech. Replacement was around $35. My modem was a
several years old and should have been changed for one meeting the newer
standards a couple of years ago.

David Newhall
Falls Church, VA