Remember the itty-bitty screens on the early home computers? The small screens were a pain; fortunately, thanks to advances in computer technology, the screens got larger pretty fast. In my first temp job in the Washington area, I worked on one of the original Macs. It was better than a Commodore or my own Kaypro, largely because of the O.S. and the user interface, but the tiny screen made it decidedly awkward to use.

At the present day, I just don't see itty-bitty machines with itty- bitty screens taking the place of laptops or desktops for serious work, either in the home or the office. Want to type a letter or a report on your iPad? How about several letters, a report, an RFP, an order for office supplies, an outline for a speech, etc., that you might work on in one day in an office job? How about your kid's physics homework, a book report, a history paper, a paper for English class? There aren't many jobs where you don't have to use computers in one way or another, and I just don't see the average middle school or high school student getting by without a real computer, either. The small screens and awkward keyboards on the smaller devices mean that they can't compete with regular computers for lots of important everyday functions.

Sure, kids like smartphones, and those iPads are just so cute; but they're just not convenient to work on. And consider this: a lot of us don't have unlimited funds any more--in fact some of us are rather short on funds, thanks to the Great Recession. This means we have to choose carefully which computer-type devices we buy and maintain. Most of us HAVE to have a computer of some kind, unless we actually WANT to wait in line at the public library when we need to use one. But we DON'T have to have an iPad or a smart phone. They're nice, of course, but not yet required; there's nothing they can do that we MUST do, that isn't already covered by something else.

Sure, it would be convenient to walk through Georgetown, looking on your iPhone for the nearest Italian restaurant (or Japanese, or Ethiopian, or whatever), and you'd look really cool doing it. But lots of us just can't afford iPhones--or Georgetown restaurants, either.

--Constance Warner