There is an enormous body of legal literature and law on peoples' (i.e.,
nations') right to self-determination under international law.  (Hurst
Hannum's book comes to mind.)  Indeed, Vattel -- who was often cited by the
Framers -- recognized the right to self-determination under the law of
nations.

It is important to note, however, that this right to self-determination
under international law was and is a collective right of peoples -- not
individuals -- to form states.  Individuals do not have a right to form
their own states under international law.

Finally, the nineteenth-century states rights advocates got their
international law wrong when they claimed that the states could withdraw
from the Union on the basis that the Constitution was a treaty.  They
failed to recognize that under international law, some treaties do not
allow withdrawal even if another state-party violates the treaty.  The
Constitution was one such treaty because it was a federal treaty
consolidating the respective peoples of the several states into one nation
while retaining the sovereignty (albeit limited) of the states.  Only the
American people as a whole could dissolve the Constitution  -- not the
individual states or their respective peoples.

Francisco Forrest Martin
President
Rights International, The Center for International Human Rights Law, Inc.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>