Mark writes:  "...the court says that Melzer admitted that he would have
difficulty deciding whether or not to report child molestation at the
school. That would seem to be an important enough obligation of a teacher
that a lack of commitment to carrying it out would justify the firing. It
also suggests that keeping Melzer on as a teacher could be dangerous to the
students, indirectly."

***
With respect, this looks like an invented fig-leaf covering the real reason
for the firing, the teacher's membership in NAMBLA, because it's based on a
prediction of what he might do, hypothetically, if a situation came up,
which is likely to come up, granted.

Potential indirect danger seems a stretch.  Why not wait to see what the
man did when the situation arose.  This reminds me of a friend who
maintained gays should not be allowed to teach in public schools because of
what they "might" do, in his mind.

The teacher's admission that he would "have difficulty" reporting
molestation as required by law and using this as the basis for draconian
legal repercussion, firing, loss of livelihood, also strikes me as having
an echo of the Inquisition, because it asks the individual to discuss (he's
already revealed something of his beliefs through his membership in a
special interest group)  his privately held belief on a subject not
necessarily implicated by membership in NAMBLA.

The board of inquiry had to set the man up by looking for a question he
might have difficulty answering to their satisfaction, a probing of the
inner workings of his mind, which I thought might be a protected area, or
should be.  I thought we might have to wait to observe conduct, rather than
to project fantasies.

In this regard note the NYT report today of the overturning of the
conviction and seven year prison sentence of the Ohio probationer, Brian
Dalton (on a child porn possession charge following a child porn prior with
a condition not to possess child porn) who himself kept a personally
written journal (found by his probation officer in an apparently lawful
search).  The journal contained fictitious stories of torture and
molestation of children, according to the report.

The other echo of Inquisition of the teacher's case that resonates with me
is the report some time ago that candidates for the U.S. Supreme Court will
be asked by pro-choice advocates on the Senate Judiciary Committee not only
whether they will they follow Roe but whether they actually "believe in it."

The fact the teacher admits he would "have difficulty following" the
mandatory child abuse reporting law strikes me as being not very different
from the admonition given to jurors who acknowledge they might have
difficulty convicting, or in believing a police officer's testimony, or
imposing the death penalty.  That is not usually ground for a challenge for
cause, when, after a little probing, the prospective juror agrees he can
put aside personal beliefs and follow the jury instructions as given by the
court.  The prospective juror remains qualified to serve and if there is a
challenge, it costs one side a peremptory, then.

One of the problems with the teacher's admission to having difficulty
following the mandatory reporting law, is that this law is not entirely
free of some objection on technical grounds.  The California statute (Cal.
Pen. C. Sec. 11166), and I understand they are fairly uniform across the
country because federally funded in part, fails to define what a reasonable
suspicion of child molestation consists of in terms of the evidence.

There's more than a bit of room for interpretation, in other words, before
putting the potential suspect through the investigative mill with
prospective loss of job or custodianship of one's own child, and leaving
his name on a list of suspected abusers.  I should think a non-NAMBLA
member might also admit to some hesitation before picking up the telephone
in some questionable cases where there is hyper-sensitive alarm but no
evidence.

No, I think the issue here is whether membership alone in a disfavored
organization is sufficient to justify firing.  The sub-issue might be to
ask how far the inquiry may go into one's ability to behave according to
law, and the third issue is how far the official board may inquire into
one's previously unannounced  beliefs and their implications.

The deeper one goes, the more Inquisitorial it is.

It would be simpler indeed, or at least less intrusive, to make membership
in some organizations prima facie disqualifying for some positions on the
grounds of no confidence.  At least that would be an objective test, or a
presumption of disqualification.  If the presumption is rebuttable, the
subject is forced to choose either to explain and rebut, or to accept the
dire alternative.

Is 'no confidence' alone a recognized basis for job disqualification?

Robert Sheridan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Dismissal as School ...