Suppose a teacher, who had taught for 25 years and was
always considered fair and helpful to all students,
goes public as a member of the KKK. And suppose many
parents of all races react strongly against this
teacher because of his Klan membership. Is it enough
to justify his termination that many parents fear that
he will be unfair to minority students and a poor role
model for racial tolerance? Should this teacher be
entitled under the 1A to keep his job?

Which groups--NAMBLA, KKK, Boy Scouts, LAMBDA, Knights
of Columbus, Al Sharpton Fan Club--are considered so
contrary to public school values as to justify firing
a teacher with a good record merely for membership in
the group (plus disruption by parental hecklers)?

My first amendment instincts tell me to protect
associational freedom, but my parental rights
instincts pull me in the other direction. In one
sense, the 1A itself pulls both ways. The teacher has
1A interests in associational freedom, but parents and
students also have a 1A interest in not being made a
captive audience for (and forced to listen and learn
from)  someone whose values are so deeply offensive to
them.

Tough issue.

Rick Duncan

=====
Rick Duncan
Welpton Professor of Law
University of Nebraska College of Law
Lincoln, NE 68583-0902

"Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many rewards, if you
disgrace yourself you can always write a book." Ronald Reagan